Friday, March 28, 2008

Hands Off


So I am learning a few things about myself and my kids while reading "How to Raise a Spirited Child" handbook. I am an extrovert who is perceptive and who can be persistent. I am married to an introvert who is very persistent. The Cap't is also an extrovert who is many things, but is very persistent and perceptive. I am learning new ways to get along and also new ways to get the Capt to do what I want (Mwah-ha-ha!) I discovered very early on that "no" is not a word that the Capt can hear. Within his extensive toddler vocabulary, this word does not exist. Someday, I am told, this will be good when he is an adult. It means he will not be a quitter.
Right now it is not helpful. So I started using the word "stop." This worked for awhile and then the Capt built up an immunity to it. "Don't touch" only works when he's done touching the thing. My new miracle phrase is "hands off". It is to the point. He knows what his hands are and he knows what off means. I also started saying things that sound more like a drill sargent or a cave man would say (not in tone, just in words.) Like today after Kindermusik. It was very rainy and we had to cross the parking lot to get to the car. I normally would say, "Okay, hold Mama's hand in the parking lot." Somehow toddlers instead hear "okay parking lot RUN!" Instead I tried saying "hold hands street". It worked!! I gave myself some internal high fives and tried again in the car. The Capt is learning to climb into the car and get into his seat by "Jack's self." Before getting there though he usually he finds toys, old goldfish crackers and stickers stuck to the floor and I end up getting him in by "mom's self". Today I told him "carseat sit down" He actually did it!! Not sure how long these new experiments, I mean, tricks, I mean ideas will last but I took myself to Starbuck's on the way home for a mom treat anyway.

1 comment:

shamrockgrl74 said...

You go! I hope the "drill seargent" keeps working for you.