Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sweet Baby Will


Our world has been turned upside down! A few days ago we found out that The Kid has severe hemophilia. Earlier in the week I discovered a nasty hematoma (really dark purple bruise with a knot in it) on his arm near his armpit. It was definately not something that could just appear due to even rough play with the Capt. He never seemed injured or anything so it was quite a suprise when I took off his clothes one morning. We sat on it for a day and the next morning went to the Dr. Thank God we were able to see our own pediatrician! Anyone else would have thought abuse. This freaked the bee-geezes out of me. But or Doc decided to run tests right away after a couple of other minor incidents of bleeding. We spent the rest of the day trying to find someone who could successfully draw blood from an infant. Let me just say this was not fun. The Kid and I cried together. Finally at the end of the day and about 5 needle pokes later, we were told we would be spending the night at Children's Hospital. One out of the five pokes continued to bleed... Somewhere around 10pm we were finally in our room. The Capt was with us all and was a champ. Luckily he got to watch Finding Nemo during most of this evening ordeal. Our room was shared with a little 3 year old girl on her second round of chemo. I was told by the nurses we got to room with the feistiest one! Now, I do not like suprises and like to know in advance what the plan is. I'm a planner. So this was one of the scariest, loneliest nights I can remember. Lucky for me I had the sweet little baby face to cuddle the whole time. I just didn't want to put him down, even when my arms were numb. Somewhere around 3am we were able to get his treatment going. This meant getting a temporary IV in place and 10 minutes of factor viii infusion. A half hour later another blood draw and results that it worked. Thus our journey now begins. Never in a million years would I have thought I would have two extremely unique and amazing boys. Never. At night I take a deep breathe, close my eyes and wait for the next day's adventure. Our house is never boring!

3 comments:

Beth Butler said...

What a wonderful and sweet Momma you are. Your boys are so lucky to have you.

Amy said...

What a week Heidi! Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Isaac and I are up for a playdate anytime.

DMomster said...

You are so brave and stoic. I think I would be a mess. Give those boys a hug from Auntie Annie, and call me if you need anything, if not just to talk.