Saturday, November 15, 2008

The List

This is a very busy time of year in our house. We are lookinf forward to holidays AND birthdays. The Capt is VERY into holidays at this time and Halloween was very exciting with all the trick or treating and cand involved. We have now moved into the upcoming birthday and Christmas. He knows that when it starts to get snowy and cold that his birthday will be coming. Since he has already experienced a couple of birthday parties and PRESENTS, he knows what is to come. Thus, "The List." We are getting bombarded with toy commercials and catalogs. We are emphasising gift "giving" but The Capt knows he will betting getting things too. With all that he sees he asks daily for different toys. " I want this, I want that!" And so I came up with "The List." Anytime The Capt asks for a toy he sees on TV or in a catalog, of which I freely let him browse or we look together, (the catalog, not tv.) I tell him that we will put it on "The List." Now I have never picked up a pen, or written anything down on this so called "List" he just trusts that there is one. My word! The list would be like, 20 pages by now! No, it is more of a magical list. And so it goes like this. Commercial for Clipo: "Mom, I want that!" Me: "Okay, we'll put it on the list! (:) smiley face!) The End. There are never any questions about the list. Where is the list, can I see the list, nothing. I highly suggests you try this with your own toddler/preschooler. I'm actually curious to see if this works with all of them. Dada and I secretly laugh about this and wonder if it will cause trust issues and therapy....naaaw! If they can believe in Santa, they can believe in "The List!"

No comments: