Saturday, July 19, 2008

Golf Gets in your Blood and Camp I-VY



Friday kicked off our dive into the world of hemophilia! Dada and I volunteered at Golf Gets in your Blood golf tournament, auction and dinner event to support the Puget Sound Blood Center and the Bleeding Disorder Foundation of Washington. It was an amazing event and in just a couple of hours raised thousands of dollars to support a cause very dear to our hearts. Dada statred the day by helping out the golf event and I showed up to help with the silent auction and dinner auction festivities. It really suprised me at how powerful and overwhelming the night became watching the diners give so much money to help such a small program. In Washington state alone there are only about 500 people with hemophilia. The Kid's picture was a centerpiece for about 2 tables and we flashed his picture to anyone that wanted a peek. At one point I was so emotional talking about my story, that I think one of my tables ended up donatinga little extra! We hope to really be in the forefront of the event next year and maybe even host a table.
Our next adventure is Camp I-VY. An annual family camp for families dealing with hemophlia. This is the 33rd year and we are so excited to be a part of it. This will be a very important event for us as we will be able to really get to know other local families just like us and those who have a few more years under their belts. Since the Kid still just goes along for the ride he gets to be the center of attention sitting upon my hip for a few days. The Capt on the other hand is already being prepped for the big event. We explained we were going to camp and that we wer going to sleep in sleeping bags. He said he didn't like camp and wanted to stay in his own bed. This is natural for him since he has transition issues. Although once over them, dives head first into everything! So I figured he really doesn't understand what that all means and is trying to play it off. I had him help me find everyone's sleeping bags and haul them upstairs to his bedroom. Then he helped lay them out next to each other and then gather everyone's pillows. By this time he was starting to have fun. He was ready to get inside and then hide and get flashlights, etc. By the end of an hour I was a giant catapillar and he was trying to squash me! I think he's ready for camp. I hope we get to roast marshmallows...

1 comment:

Beth Butler said...

I am glad you found a great group to support you and for you to suppoert them. Family camp sounds like fun. I will have to work on something like thta myself for next summer.