Saturday, October 25, 2008

What hemophilia looks like





Today was the first trip to Childrens Hospital in Seattle since The Kid's initial factor treatment. This morning at the changing table we discovered the biggest bruise to date. We kept an eye out but the hematoma under the bruise seemed to be getting bigger. At 3pm and a chat with our super great hemo nurse, Maia Kelley, we trekked over to the ER at Childrens'. I was nervous only because our first experience with pokes was not a good one. This time was the exact opposite. The ER was expecting us and we went in within 10 minutes. The nurse, Laurel, was familiar with hemophilia and babies! After a poke on each leg without luck, I asked about a poke to the head vein. She agreed those we the best and easiest to do. She was surprised by my ready acceptance to it as was the doctor. I guess lots of people are squeamish about IV's in a baby's head. Trust me when I say, trying to find a vein in a fat, healthy baby's hand or leg is way more excruciating than a nice visible blue vein, even if it is on the head. The Kid has very little hair anyway, so he didn't even need a shave! He was a trooper and had his binky and his lovey during his ordeal and I sang all his favorite songs. At one point during the leg pokes he even signed "all done!" That was just waaay too precious. It is still a moment for me when I think about it. The Capt. was a great big brother and we try to explain everything in his terms.
Baby is getting a poke like when he gets his check ups. When he's done Big Brother can come in and make him giggle. Baby Brother has hemophilia and that means he bruises easily and sometimes has to go to the hospital to make them better. And going into our treatment room The Capt exclaimed to anyone listening, "I'm going in to help my Baby William and make him giggle." We were in and out in 2 hours and now have another hemo notch in our belts! Oh and he won't keep the hep-lock thingy in his head. We did that in case he needs another treatment the next day. Usually the IV is in and out in a few minutes.) So don't freak out. Actually, too bad it didn't happen on Halloween, it could have been a really creepy baby monkey costume!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Way to go William!

Will and Jack are SO lucky to have such a brave & loving mommy. I hope you realize that even though they can't always tell you.

Mike G. said...

I just found your blog today. I regularly search the internet for news, blogs and other media concerning hemophilia. It seems we have much in common: My daughter is 3 and 'spirited' and my son is 18 months; a chubster who receives factor viii every other day. Where we differ is in our blogging, you are very good at it while my writing can be described as sporadic at best. Keep up the good work, from your words it shows you're a great parent.
My two Blogs:
http://carolinerita.blogspot.com
http://michaelthomasg.blogspot.com

DMomster said...

I am growing ever more in awe of you my friend. You are a fantastic mommy and such a strong woman! Glad Will held up so well (and you too). Lots of loves....

shamrockgrl74 said...

what a trouper mommy is.